Telsemaure and Eversley Hotel
Continuing the walk from the former Esplanade Hotel you are now at the 3/4 mile mark, at the junction with Dane Road.
On the eastern corner, the tall building (the Viking) stands on the site of Telsemaure, the former home of the Crook family who arrived in Seaford in 1858. Thomas Crook was a London building contractor and had come originally to Seaford as part of the Honourable Artillery Company, a forerunner of the Territorial Army. The Crooks must have liked Seaford as two years later Thomas bought the land extending as far back as the modern supermarket in Dane Road. He built an imposing house facing onto the seafront.
The house was named using the initials of his family: Thomas, Elizabeth, Lewis, Sarah, Emily, Mary, Anne, Upham, Ruth and Elizabeth. It had 8 bedrooms, 4 reception rooms and two kitchens, needed to cope with his family of nine children. It also featured stables (with staff accommodation over), two ponds, greenhouses and tennis courts as well as a museum.
Once it was completed, Crook set about building parts of Seaford that exist to this day. He built the town’s first gas works, houses, and began the Sutton Park Estate.
The family seems to have been popular in the town, with Mrs Crook being dubbed the Queen of Seaford. Certainly they did quite a bit for the town’s poorer people. The family owned the building from 1850 until 1901 when Mrs Crook died. It became an hotel, later a children’s convalescent home and the Seaford Soldiers’ Club, but was later demolished.
On the opposite side of Dane Road, where Eversley Court now is, stood the Eversley Hotel. The first Eversley Hotel was nearer the station, on the corner of Dane Road and Pelham Road. That building is now occupied by Lloyds Bank. The hotel moved to the seafront site in the 1920s, but when the hotel trade suffered because of the preference of overseas holidays in the 1970s-80s it became a pub, the Beachcomber. However, even that succumbed and was demolished in 2012.
Pass Eversley Court: next on your right is a large green area.